When it comes to winning Ryder Cup matches, there are few people in the history of the game who have done a better job than Ian Poulter. The same can be said about Colin Montgomerie when it comes to having bad ideas.
The Hall of Fame Champions Tour player and part-time television commentator recently suggested that European Team captain Paul McGinley should not use one of his captain’s picks on Poulter for this year’s matches. Monty’s reasoning rests on Poults’ less-than-stellar playing record this year on both the PGA and European Tours.
“Everyone says it doesn’t matter whether Poulter is an automatic qualifier but you’ve still got to be playing golf, come on,” Montgomerie said. “It doesn’t matter how passionate you are. That’s what the Brazilians thought they could win the World Cup on, passion and emotion. Well unfortunately they forgot to play football.”
How bad is bad? Poulter has had just two top-10 finishes in 16 tournaments this season. He also missed the cut at the Scottish Open and Open Championship. Not exactly what anyone would call “top form.”
Even still, Poulter’s Ryder Cup record speaks for itself. In four appearances at the bi-annual event (2004, 2008, 2010, 2012), the Englishman has compiled a 12-3-0 individual record. That’s an incredible 80 percent winning percentage, easily the greatest of all time.
Tell me again why leaving him off the Euro squad makes any sense?
While American team fans would love to see a Poulter-less European Team at Gleneagles this year, Poulter is a Ryder Cup legend and should be an automatic pick every single time. For as annoying and boastful his on-course persona may be during the matches, a Ryder Cup without Poulter would seem criminal.
Photo Gallery: The Many Faces of Ian Poulter
Related Link: Ian Poulter Trash Talks Michael Jordan… In His Head
Other Hot Links:
– Ian Poulter Has Very Different Car Problems Than You
– Ian Poulter vs. Lee Westwood: Twitter War for the Ages
– Ian Poulter Rips Hideki Matsuyama on Twitter
– Ian Poulter and Steve Elkington Throw Down on Twitter
– Shocking: Ian Poulter Gets In Another Twitter Battle
– Ian Poulter is Giving Away His Ford GT… Seriously
– Car-Nut Ian Poulter Attends Daytona 500
– Ian Poulter, Jason Dufner Take On Table Tennis Champs In China
– Ian ‘Pingpong’ Poulter Is At It Again
– More Cute Kids! Ian Poulter’s Son Drives Mini Cart
– Luke Donald Pokes Fun at Ian Poulter’s Clothes
– Ian Poulter Gives Twitter Follower Golf Tickets, Because He Asked
– It’s A Trap! Ian Poulter Battles A Bunker
– Ian Poulter Has Arsenal Backing Him