The votes are in. Women are now allowed to be members of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club thanks to a vote that took place Thursday.
Approximately 1,800 of the 2,400 active members of the St. Andrews, Scotland-based club took part in the vote that went in favor of allowing women becoming members for the first time in the history of the club, which dates back 260 years.
The Royal and Ancient Golf Club has voted overwhelmingly to welcome women as members. The R&A is now a mixed golf club.
— The R&A (@Randa) September 18, 2014
According to reports, 85 percent of voters backed the change in policy.
Prior to the vote Thursday, women were allowed to play but could not become full-fledged members.
“This is a very important and positive day in the history of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club,” said R&A Secretary Peter Dawson in a statement. “The R&A has served the sport of golf well for 260 years and I am confident that the club will continue to do so in future with the support of all its members, both women and men.”
Women interested in becoming members of the historic club aren’t the only ones happy to hear the news. The LPGA said in a statement Thursday:
“The LPGA is happy to hear that the members of the Royal & Ancient Golf Club in St. Andrews have voted to include female members. This decision is certainly a step in the right direction and one that better captures the current diversity and inclusiveness of our great game.”
Legend Gary Player also tweeted his support:
Delighted that R&A voted to include female members. Absolutely the right decision & good for the game of golf.
— Gary Player (@garyplayer) September 18, 2014
As did LPGA legend Annika Sorenstam:
I am thrilled the R&A has voted overwhelmingly to allow female members. This is a great day for golf and a historic one for women in golf
— Annika Sorenstam (@ANNIKA59) September 18, 2014
The R&A follows the lead of Augusta National, which reversed course and began allowing female members in 2012.
Related Link: R&A Urges St. Andrews To Allow Women
Other Hot Links:
– Golfstradamaus: ISPS Handa Wales Open
– Charles Barkley’s Turrible First Pitch Still Better Than His Golf Swing
– Adam Scott, Steve Williams Part Ways After 3 Years
– Ian Poulter ‘Whoops Ass’ On Defenseless POSI+IV Cans
– Team USA Ryder Cup Posters Will Get You Pumped
– COBRA PUMA GOLF Is Heading to Outer Space
– Scorned Lover Does Donuts On New York Golf Courses
– Stuart Appleby Has Cyst Named ‘Carlos’ Removed From His Neck
– No Laying Up’s PGA Pigskin Team: The Offense
– TaylorMade Inks European Ryder Cup Player Jamie Donaldson
– Greatest Month Ever: Horschels Welcome Baby Skylar
– Pool Parties, Nightlife Coming To PGA Tour In Las Vegas
– The Fringe: ‘Sexy’ Lexi Thompson All Grown Up & One Young Recruit