The great thing about golf majors – the Masters in particular – isn’t just the world’s best players convening in one picturesque location. Or the increased TV time. Or the massive stakes. It’s all of that and the stepped-up game by the apparel companies.
Bigger audiences in person and on TV mean more eyeballs on products, which mean more products off the shelves, which mean more dollar bills in the pockets. We always get a glimpse of what players will wear with the release of scripts, but seeing bold designs and colors on paper is much different than seeing those combinations with green fairways and pink azaleas as the backdrop.
Here’s who wore their Sunday best for the final round of the Masters:
Jordan Spieth, Under Armour: Jordan Spieth was getting attention on Sunday in Augusta for more than just his incredible play and his opportunity to pass Tiger Woods as the youngest player to ever win the Masters; he was looking pretty good, too. Spieth sported a green-and-white striped polo (perhaps in an effort to collect some Augusta karma), navy blue pants and white accents on Sunday. It’s a shame he struggled on his final 10 holes, as this look would’ve gone well with the Masters’ green jacket.
Rickie Fowler, PUMA: Everyone expects Rickie Fowler to be decked out in orange on Sunday the way they expect Tiger to show up in “Victory Red.” This Sunday was no different for Fowler in the color department, but he did turn down the volume a little bit by swapping out his usual solid orange pants for a little more subdued (and in my opinion, more stylish) orange-and-white plaid option. Fowler is a stylish guy and a trendsetter for amateurs all over; maybe his Sunday outfit will help plaid make a comeback.
John Senden, Greg Norman Collection: Going into Saturday at the Masters, it was looking like John Senden could make it two Aussie champs at Augusta in a row. It wasn’t meant to be, but he still played well and looked ever better on Sunday. Simplicity can be understated, especially in the fashion bubble the golf world is in now, but Senden’s pink polo with white pants and all white accents made him stick out in a conservative contemporary outfit.
Martin Kaymer, BOSS: Martin Kaymer hasn’t performed too well at Augusta, making just his third cut in the tournament in seven starts. This Sunday, Kaymer was hard to miss, wearing a mint green polo with thin black bands around the sleeves. He muted the shirt a little with all white accents and pants, creating a very pleasing outfit for Sunday in Augusta.
Rory McIlroy, Nike: Since he signed with Nike Golf last year, Rory McIlroy hasn’t just been one of the best players on tour, he’s been one of the most stylish. Coming from the subdued, professional style of FootJoy to the edgier, more vibrant Nike has made Rory even more visible than his game has made him. He may not have played his best golf this week, but he certainly looked good doing it, especially on Sunday in a white polo with yellow sleeves and a gray collar, matched with gray pants to bring out the accents on the shirt.
Even with all these fantastic outfits, we all know who the best dressed man in Augusta was on Sunday. Congratulations to Bubba Watson on green jacket No. 2.
More Masters Coverage:
– Masters 2014: Bubba Watson Wins Second Green Jacket
– Studs & Duds From the 2014 Masters
– 9 Reasons Why Jordan Spieth is Coolest 20-Year-Old Ever
– Miguel Angel Jimenez’s 66 Got Twitter Atwitter Again
– Bode Miller Has Quesadilla Confiscated at Augusta Gates
– 5 Reasons Bubba Watson is Not Your Average Golfer
– 10 Surprises After 2014 Masters Cut
– Pix: Wives & Girlfriends At The Masters
– 9 Best Golfers Yet to Win a Major
– The Mini Masters: A Video Unlike Any Other
– 2014 Masters: Best Day 4 Style
– 2014 Masters: Best Day 3 Style
– 2014 Masters: Best Day 2 Style
– 2014 Masters: Best Day 1 Style
– Man On A Mission: How I Ate My Way Through Augusta
– Miguel Angel Jimenez Among Masters Leaders, Twitter Goes Nuts
– NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell Shows Up at Masters
– Palmer, Player, Nicklaus Continue Honorary Starters Tradition
– Justin Rose Fine-Tunes Short Game with Billiards Table
– Masters Kid Caddies: The Cutest Things You’ll Ever See
– Kevin Streelman Gives Young Fan Tickets to Augusta
– Miguel Angel Jimenez’s Masters Routine: Stretching & Smoking
– The Masters: Eat Like A King At Augusta
– The Masters: Top 9 All-Time Performances
– The Masters: 9 Greatest Shots (Video)
– Rugby Superstar Dan Carter Meets Rory McIlroy at Augusta Gym
– The Best Spots To Watch Golf At Augusta National
– Masters Dinner: A Side of… Bugs?
– Zach Galifianakis Enjoys Bubba Watson’s Awkward Handshake
– Drive, Chip & Putt Event Brings Youth Movement To Augusta
– Masters Thoughts with Will Ferrell (Video)
– A Look Inside The Green Jacket
– All Shook Up: The Green Jacket (Video)
– Oh, the Places Golf’s Majors Trophies Have Been
– A Tradition Unlike Any Other: Dumb Masters Arguments