Remember when equipment companies went away from the black finishes on drivers, fairway metals and hybrids a few years back? Now, you’d be hard-pressed to go to a golf course and find a foursome full of golfers without a white-headed driver (or blue or red or orange).
Callaway is bringing black back and this time, it’s not only with their drivers. The Carlsbad-based equipment company will release the Apex Black Irons on June 3 with a presale date set for May 20.
Here are some of the particulars you need to know, courtesy of Callaway.
– Like the Apex CF 16 set, these irons feature our industry-leading 360 Face Cup technology in the 3-7 irons. If you want more distance from your irons, you’ve got to have Face Cup.
– The progressive offset, sole widths, CG height and notch weighting provide scoring performance from your long irons to your short irons. Our multi-piece construction delivers an excellent combination of distance, feel and control. And we’ve applied an extremely precise quadruple net forging and mild carbon steel for extremely soft feel.
– This set is offered as a custom option only.
– We worked with our shaft partners to create two exciting stock offerings to match the look of the head: a new True Temper XP 95 Stepless Shaft with a satin black finish, as well as a new “blacked out” UST Recoil.
– Additional premium after market shaft options will be offered at no upcharge.
– You can customize the makeup of your set at no upcharge in the following: 4-PW, 5-PW, 4-AW, 5-AW, depending on what you want in the bag.
– These irons come standard with a custom, “blacked out” Lamkin UTX grip.
– Apex Black irons will run $1,299.99 (steel) and $1,499.99 (graphite).