Last month, Detroit Lions cornerback Rashean Mathis turned some heads when he said he’d prefer that his 2-year-old son grow up to play golf instead of football, the occupation bringing millions of dollars into the Mathis family.
“He doesn’t have to play any sport, as far as I’m concerned. But if he does get into it, football will be the last thing I introduce him to,” Mathis said, adding, “I would love to be his caddie and (see) him on the golf course. That’s a dream.”
Mathis is not alone. According to a recent study by the Physical Activities Council, 84 percent of parents polled are supportive of their kids playing golf.
Parents were asked about their levels of concern regarding their children playing video games, using social media, interacting socially, and exercising outdoors. The findings:
– More than 33 percent were worried about the amount of time their kids spend playing video games.
– 30 percent were concerned about their kids’ increased use of social media.
– 29 percent were not happy with their children’s social interaction and time spent exercising outdoors.
– Nearly 25 percent of parents were concerned by the injury potential of their kids playing sports.
– 58 percent of these parents were concerned about at least one of the aforementioned factors.
– 34 percent were concerned with more than one of these factors.
Learning this, the National Golf Foundation asked the parents if they would be open to their kids getting involved in golf. Eighty-four percent of the parents with at least one of the concerns were supportive of the idea of their kids taking up golf, and close to 33 percent of those parents were “very supportive.”
With concussions in sports, primarily football, under the microscope now more than ever, organizations like the NGF would be wise to promote golf as a much safer alternative. Worried parents will find that the game keeps kids active and encourages social interaction as well.
Related Link: Detroit Lions CB Wants Son To Play Golf, Not Football
More Hot Links:
– The Clubhouse Match Play: Tiger’s Swing, Golf Fights and More
– Bill Murray Now Has His Own Currency: Murraycoin
– The Clubhouse: Which Golfers Would Make Good Politicians?
– 9 Reasons We Love Bubba Watson
– 5 Things You Need To Know: WGC-HSBC Champions
– The Fringe: Adam Scott’s Next Caddie Could Be You
– Homer-In-One: Unreal Video Of The Greatest Shot You’ll Ever See Today
– The Turn: COBRA GOLF Introduces the Fly-Z Family Of Clubs
– Phil Mickelson Selling California Home For $6 Million