ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW

Historic Machrihanish Clubhouse Destroyed By Fire

It’s been a tough week for historic Scottish golf courses. Over the weekend, the fifth-oldest golf club in the world, Montrose Golf Links, went from links course to giant bunker after Storm Deidre made landfall and displaced a massive amount of sand from the North Sea onto the fairways of the course. 

Then, on Wednesday, the historic clubhouse at Machrihanish Golf Club went up in flames, causing firefighters to rush to the scene around lunch time. Law enforcement tweeted out that shortly after the blaze began that the clubhouse was cleared of any people, with everyone escaping injury.

The club, which was founded in 1876, is regarded as one of the best courses in Scotland, and it boasts “the best opening shot in golf,” a drive over an inlet of the Atlantic Ocean.

The club updated members and golf fans alike as the fire burned into the night via Facebook.

“As many will be aware, absolute devastation has hit Machrihanish Golf Club today,” the post read. “A fire has ripped through the entire Clubhouse, completely destroying the building. Fire Fighters have been working tirelessly from lunchtime today to try and contain the fire but unfortunately, despite every effort, they have been unable to save the building. 

“We at Machrihanish Golf Club would like to express a sincere thank you to all who have helped and provided their support to the Club today, from those who helped to remove as much memorabilia as they possibly could from the lounge early on to all the offers of help and support received. We would like to express a particular thank you to the hard work of the Fire Fighters, the Ugadale Hotel and the local Coop for supplying food and refreshments to the Fire Fighters throughout the afternoon and evening. 

“Our thoughts are with all Club Members at this sad time with our heartfelt, special thoughts going to Iain, our Club Steward and his family who have very sadly lost their home.

“We will endeavor to keep you updated in due course and our office staff will be in touch with all members in the comings days. While no one was hurt, the club steward’s home was also destroyed in the fire.”

The club has set up a “Just Giving” page to help out the course steward, Iain Stewart, and his family who lived above the clubhouse and lost everything. 

The golf course was unharmed in the fire, but the clubhouse was completely lost. According to the club’s latest update, the building was still smoldering at 10 a.m. on Thursday morning.

RELATED STORIES

Golfer Caught Cheating By News Helicopter
Lifestyle
Koepka Ignores Tiger’s Practice Round Request
Tour
Golfer Makes 21 On Hole, Still Signs His Scorecard
Lifestyle