Just in case you spent the weekend sitting on a pontoon boat and getting a hellacious sunburn like yours truly, here are a few newsworthy items you may have missed:
1) 10 Hunter Mahan Wins Father of The Year – Well, unofficially of course, but the fact Mahan left a golf tournament he was leading to witness the birth of his child is the epitome of awesomeness. This guys should at least get a coffee mug with “World’s Greatest Dad”, especially since the winner’s share of the RBC Canadian Open was over $1 million.
2) Brandt Snedeker Wins RBC Canadian Open – Thanks to Mahan’s early departure and strong play throughout the weekend, Brandt Snedeker took home the RBC Canadian Open crown in style. He even joked that he will be sending the Littlest Mahan a big-time birthday gift. Class acts all around. Let’s hug it out.
3) Mark Weibe Wins Senior British Open – It took beating Bernhard Langer in a playoff to do it, but Mark Weibe became the newest Senior British Open Champion over the weekend. That was no small feat, of course, since Langer is one of the best Champions Tour players to have ever lived.
4) Karrie Webb Wins Ladies European Masters – Recording two eagles in a final tournament round will usually yield positive results, which is exactly what happened to American Karrie Webb at last week’s Ladies European Masters. We will have to keep an eye on Mrs. Webb as she now tackles the Old Course at St. Andrews at this week’s RICOH Women’s British Open.
5) Michael Phelps Hurts Foot Playing Golf – Look, before you ask, I have no idea how someone hurts their foot playing a normal round of golf. That being said, Olympic Legend-turned-casual golfer Michael Phelps managed to break his foot during a recent golf round.
6) Hoda Kotb to The View? – Numerous reports are coming out that current TODAY Show co-anchor Hoda Kotb is being recruited to join The View for next season. Kotb would be replacing the departing Joy Behar, according to reports.
7) There’s a House Made of Beer Cans in Houston – What was originally an obvious side-effect from a major drinking habit has since become a Houston-area tourist attraction as John Milkovisch’s beer-can house has hit the internet. I think we all have just been issued a challenge, people.
8) Hawaii Might Be In Trouble – Tropical Storm Flossie is now bearing down on Hawaii according to the National Weather Service. While meteorologists believe the storm is dissipating quickly, hundreds of people named “Flossie” have just become the unfortunate butt of many jokes.
9) Orakpo Has a Fancy New Facemask – Washington Redskins linebacker and comic book fan Brian Orakpo practiced in what can only be described as a face-shield on Monday. The highly-protective facemask rivals that of Batman-villain Bane’s mouthpiece, but hopefully we can understand Orakpo much more clearly.
Related Link: Oh, the Places Golf’s Majors Trophies Have Been