Golf fans don’t always get the attention that fans of other sports get, but when you take the time to look, there are some diehards out there… and they’re fantastic.
Golf’s majors, in particular, seem to bring out the biggest and craziest fans for some reason, but I’m certainly not complaining. I love seeing fanatics going all out for their favorite players, or just for no reason at all. Granted, there is a fine line between being rowdy and annoying (like the birdman who interrupted Webb Simpson at the 2012 U.S. Open), and simply being a golf super-fan.
With that said, the Open Championship seems to feature some of the best fans year in and year out. We’ve seen everything from Buzz Lightyear to Where’s Waldo outfits, and it doesn’t stop there. Not even close.
Here are the 9 best fans (or groups of fans) from the Open Championship:
More Open Championship Coverage:
– 9 Weird & Wild Open Championship Moments
– By the Numbers: Open Championship History
– Will Ferrell Picks ‘The French’ To Win Open Championship
– Chuck Irons and the Case of the Bogus Belt (Video)
– A Look at Open Championship Fashion Through the Years
– The Open Championship: Royal Liverpool Hole-By-Hole
– Many Things, Like Ladybugs, Have Filled Claret Jug
– Oh, the Places Golf’s Majors Trophies Have Been
– The Magnificent Seven: Who To Follow at Open Championship
– 9 Best Players Never to Win the Open Championship
– 15 Years Later: Jean Van de Velde’s Collapse at Carnoustie
– Open Championship Flashback: Tiger Woods Storms Hoylake in ’06
– Open Championship 2014: PUMA Golf Players Scripting
– Open Championship 2014: Nike Golf Players Scripting
– Open Championship 2014: Under Armour Scripting
– Drone Captures Incredible Footage of Royal Liverpool
– Factory Worker Qualifies For The Open With Borrowed Clubs
– Daly Can’t Wait to See Tiger at Royal Liverpool