The task: Sum up the year of 2013 in golf and look ahead to 2014. Who better to accomplish such a feat than the people who played in or worked around the pro levels?
So we posed 10 questions to some of Back9Network’s ambassadors: players Cheyenne Woods, William McGirt, Willy Pumarol and Berry Henson; Matt Adams, host of “Fairways of Life” on PGA Tour Radio; and Jim Remy, former PGA of America President.
1) What do you think was the biggest story of 2013?
Woods: Lydia Ko.
McGirt: Phil winning the British Open.
Pumarol: Phil winning the Claret Jug. Even he said it, “I thought I would never win this tournament.”
Henson: Henrik Stenson’s dominating end of the year was biggest story.
Adams: To me, the story of 2013 was one of “redemption.” Adam Scott wins the Masters after his collapse at Royal Lytham and St. Anne’s; Justin Rose wins the U.S. Open at historic Merion, the pinnacle of professional success after having emerged from lowest valley of professional despair of 21 straight missed cuts when he turned pro; Phil Mickelson wins the Open Championship at Muirfield only a month after telling the world that his sixth second-place finish at the U.S. Open was his “biggest heartbreak;” and Jason Dufner wins the PGA Championship at Oak Hill – the same tournament that slipped through his grasp at Atlanta in 2011.
Remy: Jason Dufner wins the PGA Championship!
2) Which player was the biggest surprise?
Woods: Jordan Spieth.
McGirt: Rory McIlroy.
Pumarol: Jordan Spieth. A lot of talent and proof. Played awesome this past season.
Henson: Henrik Stenson.
Adams: Jordan Speith. From starting the season with no status on the PGA Tour to being in the mix at the FedEx Cup.
Remy: Jordon Spieth.
3) What was your best memory of 2013?
McGirt: Finishing runner-up in Canada for the second straight year.
Pumarol: My second hole-in-one – 185 yards with 14 miles of crosswind (right to left) and I hit a perfect 5-iron with a lil’ fade to hold the wind, and the ball just disappeared.
Henson: Zach Johnson holing out and winning Tiger’s event!
Adams: Bringing Ben Hogan’s original 1-iron back to the exact spot that he last used it 63 years and a day before, in the final round of the 1950 U.S. Open at Merion (which Hogan would go on to win the next day in a playoff – without his heroic 1-iron, as it was stolen from his golf bag on the night after the famous photo was shot and it remained lost for the next 30+ years).
Remy: Got to do interviews at the PGA Championship for Back9Network.
4) Who was your favorite player to watch in 2013?
McGirt: Jordan Spieth.
Pumarol: Stenson was very fun to watch and see how crazy golf is. Two years ago the same guy was breaking clubs and missing the cut anywhere.
Henson: I love Miguel Angel Jimenez.
Adams: Cannot narrow it down to one…
Remy: No question, even though he didn’t have his best year. Best guy on Tour! Padaig Harrington.
5) What was your favorite new club of the year?
Woods: Nike Covert.
McGirt: TaylorMade SLDR driver.
Pumarol: I liked the new Futura X putter by Scotty Cameron. Have it on my bag.
Henson: Titleist driver.
Adams: Taylor Made Daddy Longlegs Putter.
Remy: Nike Covert Driver.
|Next Page: Part 2 —>|
Other Hot Links:
– TV Preview: Back9Network Original Programming
– Best Golf Photos of 2013 (Photos)
– Most Memorable Moments of 2013
– The Best Golf Selfies of 2013 (Photos)
– 13 Best Viral Golf Videos of 2013
– The Year of Rory McIlroy in Commercials
– Top 13 Golfers of 2013
– Notable Deaths In Golf In 2013
– Golf’s 13 Craziest Moments of 2013
– 13 Best Golf Shots of 2013
– 5 Best Hole-In-One Videos of 2013
– Extreme Weather 2013 (Photos)
– 2013 Year in Review: The Majors (Photos)
– Year In Twitter Pictures: John Daly (Photos)
– Golfstradamaus: 2014 Year in Review
– 10 New Golf Clubs to Watch For in 2014