Rory McIlroy is a fan of American football. He just doesn’t get why the players wear pads and a helmet.
Speaking to the media Thursday following his 3-under 67, which tied him for the first-round lead, the world’s No. 1 player touched on his love for rugby and growing interest in the sport the folks here on this side of the pond call “football.”
We won’t hate on Rory’s questioning of the use of pads and helmets in the NFL. If he’d like, he’s more than welcome to cut over the middle of the field to catch a short pass in front of a trio of linebackers to get a better feel for the game.
We’re kidding, of course. McIlroy is a noted fan of rugby and there’s no questioning the toughness of the athletes playing that sport at its highest level. But it sure is interesting to hear that famous athletes enjoy watching other sports like the rest of us fans.
In fact, McIlroy has had a bit of a love affair going with the game this week in Denver. Last week, it was reported that he’d be attending the Broncos-Colts game Sunday — along with Phil Mickelson and Bubba Watson — after the completion of the final round at the BMW Championship in nearby Cherry Hills, Colo. And on Tuesday, he met with Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning — a noted golfer.
So, will we see Rory on the gridiron anytime soon? I’d say it’s very doubtful. For now, we’ll have to settle for him to continue dominating the PGA Tour.
Related Link : Rory McIlroy Looking Forward to Broncos-Colts Game in Denver
Other Hot Links:
– ‘Frustrated’ Rory McIlroy Puts Hole In Partition
– John Elway As Popular As The PGA Tour Pros At BMW Championship
– Outtakes: Peyton Manning Clowns In BMW Championship Ad
– PGA Tour Wanted Denver Broncos To Win Super Bowl
– 5 Things You Need To Know: BMW Championship at Cherry Hills
– Fans Now Encouraged To Use Social Media At Ryder Cup
– Sergio Garcia Disappointed Luke Donald Not on Ryder Cup Team
– Ralph Lauren Unveils U.S. Ryder Cup Team Uniforms
– Does It Drive: Mountain Dew Cheetos