Tiger Woods said Monday that it’s still too early for him to determine if he’ll play in next month’s Masters.
The world’s top-ranked player spoke briefly about his status while announcing Quicken Loans will replace AT&T as the title sponsor for his tournament held annually at the Congressional Country Club.
“For Augusta, it’s still a little too soon, to be honest with you,” Woods said. “That’s kind of the frustrating thing about this.”
Woods’ recurring back spasms forced him to pull out of last weekend’s Arnold Palmer Invitational and also limited him to 13 holes of the final round at the Honda Classic.
Called Arnold today to tell him that sadly I won’t be able to play. Back spasms and the pain haven’t subsided. http://t.co/7F8LDAV2Ff
— Tiger Woods (@TigerWoods) March 18, 2014
The injury has placed serious doubt on whether or not Woods will have a shot for a fifth Masters championship.
Should Woods actually miss the Masters next month, it would mark the first time in his career that he hasn’t competed at Augusta National. He’s played every year since 1995. In 19 appearances, Woods has finished in the top eight 13 times, and he’s collected four green jackets.
“I had a couple weeks off, was getting treatment and trying to get ready for Augusta,” said Woods. “As of right now, it’s still too soon. As I said, that’s very frustrating.”
Photo Gallery: Tiger Woods and Lindsey Vonn
Other Tiger Woods Links:
– Photos: Tiger Woods and Lindsey Vonn
– Tiger Woods Sinks 91-Foot Putt at Trump National Doral
– Tiger Woods Has No Love for Dufner’s Auburn Tigers
– Tiger Woods Will Win 15th & 16th Majors In 2014
– Tiger Woods Anticipates Big 2014
– Video: Ahmad Rashad Hassled By Guy On Driving Range… And It’s Tiger Woods
– Rory McIlroy Edges Tiger Woods in Match at Mission Hills
– Tiger Woods Hits Golf Ball from Asia into Europe
– Did Sergio Garcia Learn His Lesson from Tiger Woods Comments?
– Lindsey Vonn: Tiger Woods is ‘Dorky-Goofy’