Tiger Woods announced on his website late Wednesday afternoon that he would be stepping away from professional golf until his game is ready to go.
“The last two weeks have been very disappointing to me, especially Torrey, because I never want to withdraw,” Woods said in a statement. “Unfortunately, lately injuries have made that happen too often.”
Woods acknowledged that the injury that forced him to withdraw last week at the Farmers Insurance Open was not the result of his previous back injury and insists that, thanks to daily physical therapy, he is feeling fine.
“I enter a tournament to compete at the highest level, and when I think I’m ready, I’ll be back,” Woods continued. “Next week I will practice at Medalist and at home getting ready for the rest of the year.”
While Woods didn’t give a timetable for his return, he doesn’t anticipate it will come any time in the next three weeks.
“I’d like to play the Honda Classic — it’s a tournament in my hometown and it’s important to me — but I won’t be there unless my game is tournament-ready. That’s not fair to anyone,” Woods said. “I do, however, expect to be playing again very soon.”