In wire-to-wire fashion, Rory McIlroy collected his third major on Sunday, winning the Open Championship at Royal Liverpool, the third leg of his career grand slam. With such an impressive victory there are bound to be some interesting numbers. Here they are:
17 – Strokes under par that McIlory finished, one shot lower than his 54-hole score. After going 66-66-68 in his first three rounds, he carded a 1-under 71 on Sunday to beat Rickie Fowler and Sergio Garcia by two strokes.
6 – Number of shots ahead McIlroy was entering Sunday. He also owned the lead going into the final round at his other two major wins: 2011 U.S. Open and 2012 PGA Championship.
25 – McIlroy’s age, making him the third player to complete three legs of the career grand slam at 25 or younger since 1934. Jack Nicklaus was 23 when he won the 1963 PGA Championship, and Tiger Woods was 24 when he won the 2000 U.S. Open.
263 – Days until the 2015 Masters, McIlroy’s first chance at completing the career grand slam.
16 – Number of golfers who have now won three of the four majors.
44 – Number of golfers who have now won three career majors.
$1,665,788 – Amount that McIlroy collected for winning the Open Championship, the largest check of his career. He received $1,445,000 for the 2012 PGA Championship, and $1,440,000 for the 2011 U.S. Open.
$341,730 – Amount that McIlroy’s father, Gerry, and three of his friends are expected to collect from a 500-to-1-odds bet they made 10 years ago that Rory would win the Open Championship before he turned 26.
7 – Number of PGA Tour victories McIlory now owns. It is his 13th professional victory worldwide.
2 – McIlroy’s new standing in the world golf rankings.
1 – McIlroy’s new standing in the European Tour’s Race to Dubai. The Open Championship counts for points on both the European and PGA Tours.
11 – McIlroy’s new place in the FedExCup standings, up from 42nd.
81 – Number of starts for McIlroy on the PGA Tour. Tiger Woods also won the third leg of his career grand slam in his 81st PGA Tour start, but it was his 20th victory on the tour.
69 – Place that Woods finished Sunday, the worst result at a major of his professional career (aside from missed cuts).
19 – Number of majors that Woods has played since his 14th major championship, a drought of more than six years. Twenty-five majors have been played since the 2008 U.S. Open, but Woods has missed six due to injury.
3 – Number of top-five finishes in three majors this year for Fowler. He only had one before 2014. He’s the first player to earn top-10 results in the first three majors of a season since Woods in 2005.
$3,192,317 – Money earned by Fowler this season, the most of his career. He and Garcia collected $785,910 on Sunday.
62 – Number of major championship starts without a win for Garcia, second-most behind only Lee Westwood (64).
4 – Number of runner-up finishes at majors for Garcia.
0 – Number of top-10 finishes for defending Open champion Phil Mickelson, who tied for 23rd this week. Previously, he had never played the season’s third major with fewer than three such results already recorded.
4 – Number of players who shot a 7-under 65 on Sunday: Jim Furyk, Marc Leishman, Shane Lowry and Chris Wood. On Friday, Dustin Johnson also carded a 65, the lowest score of the tournament.
Related Link: Complete Open Championship Coverage
More Open Championship Coverage:
– Rory McIlroy Joins 9 Others With 3 Legs of Career Grand Slam
– Rory McIlroy’s Dad Cashes in Big on 10-Year-Old Bet
– A Wounded Tiger at The Open
– 2014 Open Championship: Best Day 4 Style
– Studs & Duds From the 2014 Open Championship
– Rory McIlroy Captures Royal Major at 2014 Open Championship
– 2014 Open Championship: Best Day 3 Style
– Hoylake a Gracious Host, Residents Cashing In
– Round 3 Recap: Rickie vs. Rory For Open Championship
– Defending Open Champion Phil Mickelson’s Struggles Continue
– Remembering Renowned Coach Bob Torrance
– 2014 Open Championship: Best Day 2 Style
– 5 Biggest Surprises Entering 2014 Open Championship Weekend
– Round 2 Recap: Everyone Chasing McIlroy at Open Championship
– Coetzee’s Climb Highlights Friday Morning at Open Championship
– An Octopus’ Garden In The Shade
– Billy Horschel to Wear Snakeskin Pants, Camo Polo at The Open
– The Fringe: Mickelson Gives Up Jug & Crane’s Long Journey
– Live from Liverpool: Open Championship Notebook Round 2
– 2014 Open Championship: Best Day 1 Style
– Round 1 Recap: McIlroy Leads Open Championship, Tiger Lurking
– Photos: Open Championship – Round 1
– Bubba Watson, Rory McIlroy Can’t Name The Beatles
– 2014 Open Championship’s Hole of the Day: Royal Liverpool’s 1st
– Rickie Fowler, Charl Schwartzel Pelt Exact Same Marshal on 16
– 2014 Open Championship Round 2 Tee Times and Pairings
– Golfers Do Impressions of Famed Announcer Ivor Robson
– 9 Best Golfers Yet to Win a Major
– Throwback Thursday: Royal Liverpool Champions
– Live from Liverpool: Open Championship Notebook Round 1
– Forklift Driver John Singleton Hangs with Pros at Open Championship
– Tiger Woods Shoots 3-Under, Getting ‘Sharper and Stronger’
– Ernie Els Has A Brain Cramp On First Hole
– Tiger Woods Hits Guy In The Face With Drive
– Henrik Stenson Breaks (Another) Club at Open Championship
– Inside The Ropes: Player Photos & Reactions From Royal Liverpool
– Golfstradamaus: 2014 Open Championship
– Erik Compton Living in the Now in 1st Trip to Open Championship
– Top 9 Moments in Open Championship History
– R&A Tries to Curb Betting, Has Players Sign Waivers
– Aye Aye Captain: SpongeBob GolfPants Return!
– 9 Best Groups To Watch at 2014 Open Championship
– Ian Poulter Has Arsenal Backing Him at Open Championship
– Despite Ranking, No One Better Than Martin Kaymer Right Now
– Best Fans at the Open Championship
– Pics: 2014 Open Championship Preview
– Top 9 Moments at Royal Liverpool
– Tiger Woods Believes He Can Win 2014 Open Championship
– 9 Craziest Open Championship Fan Outfits
– Will Ferrell Picks ‘The French’ To Win Open Championship
– Open Championship 2014: PUMA Golf Players Scripting
– Open Championship 2014: Nike Golf Players Scripting
– Open Championship 2014: Under Armour Scripting
– Open Championship 2014: adidas Golf Player Scripting
– Open Championship 2014: Oakley Scripting
– By the Numbers: Open Championship History
– The Odds: Adam Scott, Justin Rose Co-Favorites at The Open
– 9 Weird & Wild Open Championship Moments
– A Look at Open Championship Fashion Through the Years
– The Open Championship: Royal Liverpool Hole-By-Hole
– Many Things, Like Ladybugs, Have Filled Claret Jug
– Oh, the Places Golf’s Majors Trophies Have Been
– The Magnificent Seven: Who To Follow at Open Championship
– 9 Best Players Never to Win the Open Championship
– 15 Years Later: Jean Van de Velde’s Collapse at Carnoustie
– Open Championship Flashback: Tiger Woods Storms Hoylake in ’06
– Drone Captures Incredible Footage of Royal Liverpool
– Factory Worker Qualifies For The Open With Borrowed Clubs
– Daly Can’t Wait to See Tiger at Royal Liverpool