This is awesome. Jason Dufner was out of contention at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational on Saturday, so he decided to turn his rough day into a spectacular one for someone else.
After shooting 4-over through the first two rounds, and 2-over through 10 holes on Saturday, Dufner made a young fan’s day when he gave a kid his Scotty Cameron putter. What did he putt with for the rest of the day, you might ask? His 3-wood. Dufner bogeyed No. 11 and incredibly made par the rest of the day.
Shane Ryan of Grantland caught up with Duf Daddy on Sunday to get the inside story:
“Jason,” I said, “I heard a story that you gave your putter away to a kid yesterday. I wanted to make sure it was true.”
“Was that on no. 12?”
I did the math — eight holes. Dufner had always been a bit rough on the greens, but I failed to see how this would help.
“What did you putt with?”
I can’t remember ever hearing of a player giving away his flatstick midway through his round. I assume Dufner went back to a regular putter for his final round, but it’s unclear because apparently the TV cameras and photographers missed Dufner’s act of kindness. I guess that’s what happens when you’re out of contention and not named Tiger Woods.
Regardless, Sunday was his worst day yet. Dufner carded a 7-over 77 and finished T-66. But at least he made a lucky fan happy.
You’re a good man, Jason Dufner.
Other Hot Links:
– The Odds: Rory Remains Huge Favorite at PGA Championship
– The Fringe: Bubba Watson Won’t Drive for Show
– Bored Tiger Woods Throws Paper Airplane at Bubba Watson
– Got $60 Million? Buy Your Own Private Golf Course & Mansion
– Tweek in Review: The Week’s Best Tweets
– Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy Get Custom Louisville Sluggers
– Monty Thinks Skipping Poulter for Ryder Cup is a Good Idea
– Weekend Recap: Rory McIlroy is the Best Golfer in the World
– Sergio Garcia’s Errant Drive Knocks Diamond Off Woman’s Ring
– Tiger Woods Withdraws from Bridgestone, Cites Back Injury