Sunday singles matches at The Ryder Cup are the peak. For spectators — in person and around the globe — and players, alike, the head-to-head, mano y mano matchups are pure theater built on pure adrenaline.
Not a Ryder Cup goes by without many memorable moments from the day of singles.
Adding even more flair to the magic this Sunday at the Ryder Cup is the third match of the day: Rickie Fowler vs. Rory McIlroy.
Related Link: 5 Things You Didn’t Know About Rickie Fowler
Every golfer on either side of the Atlantic was crossing their fingers for this one. For golf fans, it means so much. For the U.S., even more.
Fresh off a ridiculous 15-year run of dominance from Tiger Woods, it appears we have his successor in McIlroy. The season he just had would back that up. But the issue with the Tiger Era, if we can call it that, is that he never had a true rival. Phil Mickelson battled him often and will forever be one of the greats, but the stars just never aligned for the two of them.
With McIlroy and Fowler, we have that chance. They’re the same age. They’re two of the world’s top players and undoubtedly a big part of the future for both teams when talking Ryder Cup. The two went back and forth down the stretch at the PGA Championship last month. And, outside of McIlroy, Fowler is perhaps the world’s most noticeable golfer — flat brim, orange slacks and all.
On Sunday, Fowler has a big chance to turn it all around — for himself and the U.S. Following two other young guns in Jordan Spieth and Patrick Reed, Fowler heads out against McIlroy as America’s best hope against the world’s No. 1 player. On the line is a chance to seize some major momentum for both the U.S. at the Ryder Cup and this budding rivalry as it continues to grow.
Photo Gallery: Rickie Fowler
More Ryder Cup Links:
– Ryder Cup Notebook: Mickelson’s Last Stand? High Heels On The Course?
– Did We Just Witness Greatest Ryder Cup Match Ever?
– O Captain! Ryder Cup Captains Can Make A Difference
– Best Moments From Day 1 At The Ryder Cup
– 2014 Ryder Cup: Day 1 Studs & Duds
– Butt Slaps & Man Hugs: Ryder Cup Day 1 on Social Media
– Lost In Translation: How To Decipher What The Scottish Are Saying
– Remembering the ‘Draw in the Dunes’ at the 1969 Ryder Cup
– Spectators Paying The Price For Attending Ryder Cup
– Rory McIlroy Playing New Nike Vapor Driver at Ryder Cup
– Ryder Cup Notebook: Gleneagles Filled To The Brim
– Michael Jordan Is Back At The Ryder Cup
– Ryder Cup Atmosphere At Gleneagles Is Deafening
– Ryder Cup Odds: Underdog Americans Worth A Wager
– These Guys Are Good: Just 1 European Has Losing Ryder Cup Record
– Let Me Take A Selfie: Ryder Cup Stars Join In On Craze
– Slice of Bacon: The Ryder Cup Is Upon Us
– Show Me The Money: Ryder Cup Has Become Golf’s Biggest Event
– A Brief But Glorious History Of Rickie Fowler Photobombs
– Ryder Cup Pairings And Results
– Ryder Cup Notebook: Americans Finding Plenty Of Incentive To Win
– Tournament Hole Of The Week: Ryder Cup
– Ryder Cup By The Numbers: More Than 15 Miles of Rope and More
– Ryder Cup Ticket Prices Soaring On Secondary Market
– Phil Snags Wounded Warrior’s Phone, Takes Super Selfie
– U.S. Team Room Is Jaw-Droppingly Awesome
– Who Wore Velvet Best: Team Europe Or Pop Stars?
– Comeback King: Phil Mickelson Retorts ‘Suck On That’
– Sir Alex Ferguson Called On To Inspire Team Europe
– Phil’s on Fire: Confirms Keegan Pairing, Takes Shot At Team Europe
– Inside The Ropes: Ryder Cup Twitter Roundup
– 5 Things You Need To Know: Ryder Cup At Gleneagles
– Ryder Cup Rookies: Spieth, Reed, Walker Debut For U.S.
– The Odds: Ryder Cup Odds & Props Offer Plenty Of Options
– 3 Things You’ll See At The Ryder Cup This Week
– Ryder Cup Rookies: Dubuisson, Donaldson, Gallacher Debut For Europe
– Best Crowd Moments In Ryder Cup History
– Golf Manufacturers Showcase Ryder Cup-Inspired Gear
– 11 Most Memorable Ryder Cup Moments
– 5 Players Team Europe Needs To Play Well At Ryder Cup
– 5 Players The U.S. Needs To Play Well At Ryder Cup
– Fans Now Encouraged To Use Social Media At Ryder Cup
– Team USA Ryder Cup Posters Will Get You Pumped
– Rory McIlroy on Keegan Bradley & Ian Poulter: ‘They’re Both Nuts’
– ‘Screw You’: Ian Poulter Trash Talks Michael Jordan… In His Head
– One American’s Tribute to Ryder Cup Legend/Nightmare Ian Poulter
– TaylorMade Inks European Ryder Cup Player Jamie Donaldson
– Harrington, Jimenez, Olazabal Named Ryder Cup Vice Captains
– Sergio Garcia Disappointed Luke Donald Not on Ryder Cup Team
– Ralph Lauren Unveils U.S. Ryder Cup Team Uniforms
– Bradley, Mahan, Simpson Named U.S. Ryder Cup Captain’s Picks
– Gallacher, Poulter, Westwood Complete European Ryder Cup Team